TD Ameritrade API Developer License Agreement (“Agreement”)
Last updated on January 13, 2018
This Agreement applies to registered and approved individual TD Ameritrade API developers (“Developers”) and alone grants non-commercial API development rights only, unless the Developer ID is associated with a Commercial API account (see paragraph 6, below).
In order to access the API (defined below), you must first accept this Agreement and its terms, on behalf of yourself and your company, organization or entity on behalf of whom you are accessing the API. You may indicate your acceptance by a) Checking the “I accept the API Developer License Agreement” checkbox as part of the form for requesting a Developer ID, or b) Clicking an “I Agree,” “I Accept,” or similar button when presented with revisions of this Agreement.
Your use of applications developed by you or used by you using the API is AT YOUR OWN RISK. TD Ameritrade has no obligation to provide you with any development or customer support in connection with your use of the API.
- Upon Agreement to these terms and subject to the verification of registration information you have submitted, TD Ameritrade shall issue to you, for your personal use, a revocable, limited-use Developer ID. TD Ameritrade reserves the right to revoke or limit the access of the Developer ID at any time for violation of the terms of this Agreement or where necessary to protect the security or integrity of TD Ameritrade systems or accounts.
- TD Ameritrade owns all rights, title and interest in and to its trading platforms and associated application programming interfaces and user documentation and reference documentation (collectively, the “API”), their data and any modifications, alterations, translations or derivative works relating to the API, including but not limited to any code written by TD Ameritrade in connection with the API. TD Ameritrade protects its rights, title and interest to the fullest extent of the law. You may not use the API material except as provided in this Agreement.
- The API is non-public information, which TD Ameritrade considers confidential and proprietary. You may not copy, disclose, publish, republish, post, distribute, or otherwise disclose the API in any way for any reason, other than as expressly permitted in this Agreement.
- TD Ameritrade grants you, Developer, a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, royalty-free, limited, revocable license to use the API to develop an automated trading platform, tool, or interface, for your personal use, which platform, tool, or interface pulls market data and/or your Account data from TD Ameritrade’s systems. Except as may be permitted by a Commercial API Agreement, this license is personal to you, and you may only use it for your own personal, non-commercial use. You may only access and use the API and Forums (defined below) using the approved Developer userID assigned to you by TD Ameritrade. No other use is permitted without the express prior written consent of TD Ameritrade.
- Other than the limited license granted above, you may not use, copy, alter, adapt, modify, reproduce, display, distribute, transmit, broadcast, sell, license, publish, rent, lease, sublicense, transfer, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, create derivative works based on or otherwise exploit the API for any purpose whatsoever. You may not republish the API, or incorporate the API, or any portion of it, in any database, compilation, archive or cache. You may not copy, alter, adapt, modify, reproduce, display, or distribute any of the API content or any data extracted using the API to others, whether or not for payment or other consideration, without express prior written consent from TD Ameritrade. You may not remove, alter or obscure any trademark, copyright, legal or proprietary notice in or on any portion of the API. You may not circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security related features of the API or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of the API or enforce limitations on use of the API. You may not monetize any portion of the API or use it for any commercial or non-personal purpose. You may not engage in any data mining of personal information. You may not engage in any data gathering or extraction method that results in the storage or caching of data for more than 24 consecutive hours in connection with your use of the API without express prior written consent from TD Ameritrade. You may not use the API to do anything designed to disrupt, damage or limit the functioning of the API or any TD Ameritrade software, hardware or system. And you may not allow or assist any third party (whether or not for your benefit) to do anything that would violate the terms of this Agreement.
- Commercial API. The TD Ameritrade Commercial API program is available to parties wishing to use the API to create applications and services to be distributed commercially to others, whether for a fee or free of charge. Upon entering into a Commercial API agreement, an entity will be given a “Company ID.” If your Developer ID is added to a Company ID created pursuant to a Commercial API agreement, the limitations on use contained in the Commercial API agreement shall control. For more information on the Commercial API program, please consult the TD Ameritrade API program website.
- You may not use the API in any way that results in or reasonably could result in any security or data breach with respect to TD Ameritrade, or any of its affiliates, or a violation of any applicable law or regulation. You may not use the API with any software or program that may contain viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, bots or any other computer code or files that are designed to disrupt, damage or limit the functioning of the API or any TD Ameritrade software, hardware, or systems, including without limitation by creating spam Developer ID registrations. You may not use the API in any way that may interfere with the operation of an TD Ameritrade software, hardware, or system, such as broadcast attacks, or attempt to overload the system.
- This Agreement will continue until terminated by one of the parties. TD Ameritrade may terminate this Agreement for any reason, in TD Ameritrade’s sole discretion. If you wish to stop using the API (and thereby terminate your license under this Agreement), please email TD Ameritrade API Support. Upon any termination of this Agreement, you will immediately stop using the API and destroy any and all copies of the API in your possession or control.
- Except for any express warranties set forth in thIS agreement, TD AMERITRADE hereby EXPRESSLY disclaims all warranties regarding THE API, including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, as well as any warranties arising out of course of dealing, usage or trade.
- If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful or unenforceable in any respect, the court may reform such provision so as to render it enforceable (or, if it is not possible to reform such provision so as to make it enforceable, to delete such provision); and, as so reformed or modified, fully enforce this Agreement. The failure of either party to insist upon a strict performance of or to seek remedy of any one of the terms or conditions of this Agreement or to exercise any right, remedy or election set forth in this Agreement or permitted by law will not constitute or be construed as a waiver or relinquishment for the future of such term, condition, right, remedy or election, but such items will continue and remain in force and effect.
- Any disputes related to your TD Ameritrade client account(s), including your Account, or arising out of trading activities, are governed by your Client Agreement with TD Ameritrade. All other disputes related to this Agreement, including without limitation any intellectual property or data security dispute, shall be subject to the following: (a) this Agreement and its interpretation shall be governed by the laws of the State of Nebraska without giving effect to principles of conflict of laws; (b) you consent to jurisdiction in the State of Nebraska and agree that the courts within Nebraska shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any issue regarding this Agreement (excluding any disputes governed by your Client Agreement); and (c) THE PARTIES HEREBY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO A TRIAL BY JURY IN ANY LITIGATION RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT.
- This Agreement, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be assigned, transferred, delegated, or sublicensed by you, but may be assigned, transferred, delegated, and sublicensed by TD Ameritrade without restriction.
- If there is any conflict between this Agreement and any help text, email, chat discussion, user manual or other documentation relating to the API, this Agreement will govern, whether such other documentation is prior to or subsequent to this Agreement.